Essential to every RH unit is a TOP lance. This lance is a gas-oxygen burner with these basic functions:
- Heating the vessel refractory lining after vessel changing
- Keeping the vessel lining at a defined temperature during treatment breaks
- Melting down skulls inside the vessel
The circulating liquid steel is in direct contact with the refractory lining of the vacuum vessel. That makes it vital to pre-heat the lining to above 1,000 °C.
Not only important as a burner, the TOP lance also blows oxygen for these purposes:
- Optimizing the decarburization process to achieve low carbon contents in a short time
- Quickly raising the steel temperature by superoxidation or alumino-thermic heating
- Removing skulls by oxidation
Finally, the TOP lance can also blow metallurgical powders for
- Desulfurizing selected steel grade types
- Supporting the decarburization reaction to achieve ultra-low carbon contents
We also supply lance cameras fitted to the TOP lance so you can observe the recirculation process.