Continuous caster for flat productsCasting
There have been several major milestones in the history of SMS group and its predecessor companies (Schloemann, Concast, and Mannesmann Demag). They all testify to 50 years of leadership in continuous casting. This means that the thin, medium, and thick slabs you produce on our continuous casters form your ideal basis for superior steel products.
Today, some 95% of steel is produced by continuous casting. As a frontrunner in this technology, SMS group offers the world's most extensive portfolio of continuous casting machines. That's how we meet market demand as well as your specific requirements. It also means that the thin, medium, and thick slabs you produce on our continuous casters form your ideal basis for superior steel products.
You can produce (almost) anything with our plants. This includes for example: blanks for state-of- the-art sheet metal auto parts with extreme deep-drawing properties; high-strength, lightweight construction steels that reduce vehicle weights; blanks for high-performance electronic components used in ultra-small engines; large tubes for transporting aggressive media such as oil and natural gas. The range stretches from ultra-low carbon deep-drawing steel to high-alloy, heat-resistant stainless steels.
Knowing the temperature development within the mold is essential for understanding and optimizing the casting process. Now you can - with our HD mold. It provides the necessary data in high resolution as well as new insights into the processes inside the mold.
Strand guide rollers are crucial for manufacturing high-quality steel slabs. Ideal here is our STEC-Roll® solution. We have already installed it in several new plants. Plus, if you have axle rollers with rotating axles from other manufacturers and drive rollers with split bearings on your existing segment frames, it's easy to replace them with STEC-Roll®. No further changes are necessary.
- Integrated solutions consisting of mechanics, electrics, and automation
- The benefits of long-term experience with X-Pact® world-leading automation
- Energy distribution and drive systems
- The only genuine future-proof automation system
- Control stations designed around the operator
- Innovative HMI system for production-centered operation
- Plug & Work integration test, process and production simulation, near-reality 3D visualization
- All-inclusive modernization
- International setup
Our specialists in electrics, automation, technology, and mechanics work hand in hand to ensure your systems function smoothly. That’s how we create intelligent, market-centered solutions that boost your production.
The cooperation between MMK and SMS on caster No. 6 established a strong team spirit that achieves top plant performance. Together they formed an alliance to which both contribute their respective strengths for joint success.
With regard to costs, the SMS maintenance team realizes a benefit of more than 15% of the life cycle costs in the annual maintenance budget compared to equivalent plants in the MMK group. Therefore in 2014, MMK extended the cooperation on caster No. 6 by three more years.
- Trouble-free operation of the continuous caster No. 6 since April 2012 (a unique milestone under given conditions)
- Ramp-up curve: 33% better than planned
- Plant availability: 86%
- Application of different coating procedures: Electroplating, UniGuard® (HVOF)
- Increase in service life by 30% to 100%
- Extremely wear-resistant contact surface
- Improved anti-friction properties
- Less maintenance
- Lower costs for reworking due to smaller coating thickness
- Increase in production capacity
- Longer service life of segments thanks to newly developed welding materials
- Short waiting times
- Lower maintenance costs
- ISO-certified welding units
- SAW (submerged arc welding)
- Open arc welding procedure
- Gas shield welding procedure
|Roller position||Corrosion resistance||Thermal load||Bending strength||Microstructure of deposit welding|
|Foot roller||+++||+||+||a) Martensitic |
b) Special alloy
|Segment 0 - 1||+++||+||+||Soft martensitic|
|Curved segments|| |
|Horizontal segments||450||+++||+++||Soft martensitic Martensitic|
Mold level control
Remote adjustable mold
MMS plus mold monitoring system
Ahead of Times with Plug & Work
Integrated Process Control in the Steelworks
X-Pact® Vision Operation and visualization
Production Planning and Scheduling
SMS group GmbH
Technical Sales Continuous Casters
: +49 211 881 6187
Fax : +49 211 881 776187
SMS group GmbH
Sales Electrical and Automation Systems Metallurgical Plants and Environmental Technology
: +49 211 881 6712
Fax : +49 211 881 776712