Hot metal pre-treatment plantsPrimary products
What makes all the difference to steel production in BOF shops is the hot metal quality. That's why the first step in a successful steel production line is removing unwanted elements from the hot metal with an SMS group HMP plant. We supply tried-and-tested technologies for fast, efficient pre-treatment:
• Deep injection process for removing sulfur (HMD-PI), phosphorus, and silicon
• Mechanical stirring process for removing sulfur (HMD-KR)
SMS group supplies two basic HMP-PI plant concepts that cover all capacity and productivity requirements. You select the optimum plant to suit your specific conditions and targets.
A range of powders can be injected through a refractory- coated lance immersed into the liquid iron.
Typically lime, calcium carbide and/or magnesium are used for desulfurization. In case of disiliconization or dephosphorization iron oxide is commonly used. Reagents are pneumatically transferred using mono or co-injection technologies.
Our latest Twinjection® allows fast reagent delivery without compromising efficiency.
- One treatment position
- One injection lance system
- External or integrated deslagging station
- Compact design
- Lower investment cost
- Standard capacity
- Two treatment positions
- Two injection lance systems
- Fast cycle times
- 1 external or 2 integrated deslagging stations
- Maximum capacity
Classic hot metal pre-treatment involves injecting one or two metallurgical powders into the pig iron in a carrier gas. The precisely controlled process uses refractory-coated lances.
- Extremely low sulfur contents
- Removal of phosphorus
- Removal of silicon
- Short treatment times
- Cost-effective process control
- Smooth injection
To extend HMD capability, versatility, and flexibility, co-injection technology can feature different hardware configurations. They ensure even better application of the required agents.
- Co-injection of two agents
- E-CO-injection of three agents for better cost-effectiveness
- TWINJECTION®, Two separate injection lines through one lance for co-injection and extremely fast treatment
Using an alternative technology desulphurization is done by means of mechanical stirring process in the hot metal transfer ladle.
A large refractory-coated impeller rotates in the liquid iron and creates a strong downward vortex. Thus low-cost lime-based reagent additions with some fluxing agent (CaF2) are stirred deep into the bath for reaction. Unreacted lime particles rising to the bath surface are submerged again and again, maximizing the reagent/metal contact time.
Commonly used injection agents such as calcium carbide or magnesium are often in short supply. That's why we developed an alternative technology.
It means you can use cheap desulfurization agents, also for steel desulfurization. Instead of injection lances, a rotating impeller mixes the hot metal and desulfurization agents.
- Extremely low sulfur contents
- Cheap desulfurization agents
- High efficiency
- Less flux consumption than torpedo injection
SMS Mevac GmbH
Head of Sales & Project Planning
: +49 201 6323 164
Fax : +49 201 6323 264
SMS Mevac UK Ltd.
Hot Metal Treatment
Winsford, Cheshire CW7 3RS
: +44 1606 551421
Fax : +44 1606 553078