To be able to produce wider, thicker, and longer plates, Aleris Koblenz (Germany) contracted SMS group to replace its 148” mill stand with a new 160” version. As a result of intensive testing and preparatory work during production, downtimes were reduced to a minimum.
To be able to produce wider, thicker, and longer plates, Aleris Koblenz (Germany) contracted SMS group to replace its 148” mill stand with a 160” version featuring a new drive system. We installed the new rolling unit in two modernization phases.
Phase 1: new drive system
- During production: Installation of the new stand drive in a foundation trough on a movable foundation block behind the existing drive unit
- Shutdown (18 days): Shifting of the foundation block including drive unit (total weight: 1,200 t) into position and connection to the old mill stand.
Phase 2: new mill stand
- Pre-assembly in the SMS group workshop, complete with piping and testing
- Plug&Work test of X-Pact® electrics and automation
- Transportation to site and assembly of mill stand next to the mill line
- Testing in shadow mode synchronously with the old stand using signals from the existing automation system
- Shutdown (20 days): Shifting of the fully assembled mill stand into the rolling line and commissioning