Aluminium Norf GmbH implemented a comprehensive modernization project for Hot Mill No. 1 at its location in Neuss, Germany.
Aluminium Norf GmbH implemented a comprehensive modernization project for Hot Mill No. 1 at its location in Neuss, Germany. Nearly 50 years old, the hot mill was ready for a revamp. It progressed in three stages.
Phase 1: Roughing stand
- Installation of a new mechanical/hydraulic adjustment system and a new backup roll balancing system plus upgrade of the stand platform and exhaust hoods
- Result: reduced rolling cycle times due to almost doubling the speed of the mechanical adjustment system
Phase 2: Edging stand
- Replacement of the existing edger with a more powerful edging stand
- Result: greater throughput due to shorter distance from roughing stand to edger
Phase 3: Finishing mill
- Extension of the finishing mill from three to four stands
- Modification of the gear units of existing stands to increase rolling speed
- Result: higher production
All this boosted output by almost 25%. What’s more, our intelligent strategy and detailed preparation meant we accomplished the modernization phases during short shutdowns.