Powder production and 3D printingMetallurgy
Additive manufacturing is a key technology for future production processes. SMS group is a frontrunner in this development and supplies plant technology for the production of high-quality, high-purity metal powder for 3D-printing. In collaboration with Additive Industries, a Dutch specialist for 3D-printing systems, SMS group has developed a production concept to bring additive manufacturing serial production into reality.
The powder atomization plant is designed to produce metal powder of highest quality and purity:
- Induction melting and refining of metals and alloys in crucible under vacuum to realize highest cleanliness
- Atomizing of liquid metal by means of pure argon or nitrogen with the option of hot gas atomization
- Exchange of crucible for different heat sizes
- Alloying, sampling and temperature measurement under vacuum
- Anti-satellite system for highest powder quality
- Gas separation by treatment in cyclones and bag filters with the option of inert gas recycling
- Integrated powder analysis and classification
SMS group built a pilot powder atomization plant on an industrial scale at its Mönchengladbach site. This pilot plant provides the advantage of gaining knowledge under real-life conditions and offering customers a solution based on reliable results.
A 3D printer (type: laser based powder bed fusion) will allow us to perfectly align powder production and printing for reproducible, high quality and minimized costs.
Outokumpu has selected SMS group to supply an atomization plant for the production of high-quality stainless steel powder used in additive manufacturing.
The atomization plant – scheduled to become operational in early 2022 – will be designed for an annual production of up to 330 tons of stainless steel powder.
- Long lasting experience and numerous references in vacuum metallurgy and induction melting furnaces
- Powder production harmonized to needs of 3D printing
- Experience in order handling, execution and turnkey supply of plants worldwide
- Tailor-made financing packages
To help 3D printing technology for metallic materials break into serial production, Additive Industries and SMS group have agreed to develop and jointly market a production system for additive manufacturing on an industrial scale.
In joining forces, Additive Industries and SMS group bring with them specialist expertise in both core additive manufacturing technologies: the manufacture of metal powder and 3D printing. The industrial-scale, serial production of parts of high reproducible quality by the additive manufacturing method is possible only if both crucial process stages are closely aligned. The production concept will not just encompass powder manufacturing and 3D printing but other stages, too, right up to delivery of the printed component.
- Reproducible, high quality for series production due to control of integrated process chain from powder production to finished product
- Optimized process for maximum productivity and lowest total cost
- Modular and scalable concept
- Turnkey supply of complete additive manufacturing plant
- One point of contact
- Worldwide network for support
Additive Manufacturing provides the possibility to generate complex geometries that cannot be created by conventional methods. The technology of the layer-based structure offers the great advantage of producing lighter parts in better quality and, at the same time, at lower costs.
How will you be able to fully exploit the potential of the additive manufacturing technology? How do you obtain an optimally designed component that is produced to the additive manufacturing method? And how will you succeed in leaving the well-worn tracks of conventional design and turn toward a function-oriented way of designing?
Our experts will be pleased to assist you in finding answers to these questions.
The breakthrough in additive manufacturing series production Download
Powder Atomization Plant
Engineering for Additive Manufacturing as a service