Light metal extrusion pressesInnovative technology
SMS group is the only manufacturer to supply all extrusion processes for all materials and alloys, including all ancillary equipment and automation systems. More than 1,400 reference plants worldwide prove our experience and extensive expertise. Typical applications of our light metal extrusion presses are the production of sections and tubes from aluminum alloys for the automotive, aerospace, and construction industries. Our presses' durable laminated tie-rod design, high-precision guiding system, advanced and energy-efficient hydraulic design plus the best-in-class process control software have made SMS the leading global player in the world of extrusion.
What stands out immediately about HybrEx® extrusion presses from SMS are the energy savings of up to 55 percent and productivity increases of up to 20 percent, depending on the application. This qualifies the HybrEx® extrusion press for our Ecoplants label which denotes economically and ecologically convincing solutions from SMS.
The new extrusion press generation implements a hybrid drive strategy. That means high-speed electric servo drives power ancillary movements, where the emphasis is on speed and precision. Conversely, the hydraulic drive is only used to generate high forces for the extrusion process, for discard shearing and for cassette shifting.
- Light-alloy extrusion presses operate more efficiently with a soft starter drive.
- Automatic start-stop function. If the pump is idling, the drive automatically switches off - and only switches on again when power is necessary.
- Assuming 6,000 production hours per year and an average pump load, you can
reduce your energy consumption by 50,000 kWh per drive.
You can get the most out of SMS extrusion presses with our smart control systems. They come with sophisticated man-machine interfaces, tool management, block reports, production control computer connection, as well as high-performance software.
- PICOS.NET (Process Information and Control System) visualizes the production process and specifies the required process parameters.
- CADEX (Computer Aided Direct Extrusion) uses thermal simulation to optimize the extrusion process.
- MIDIS (Management Information Diagnostic Indication System) is ideal for production planning and forms the interface between your control system (HOST) and the machine's PICOS.NET systems. MIDIS is always tailor-made to your needs and can vary from a lean reporting application to a comprehensive integrated shopfloor solution.